We are pleased to announce the second Call for Proposals for the University of Chicago (UChicago)—University of Hong Kong (HKU) Global Partnership Fund. Applications are now invited from eligible members of both universities.
In August 2016, UChicago and HKU signed a Memorandum of Understanding with a desire to develop a collaborative arrangement, whereby the Institutions may participate in collaborative teaching, training, research and other agreed activities that further enhance the relationship between the institutions.
As a pilot project and to focus on an existing area of interest, the contributions to the Global Partnership Fund in the first two years are dedicated to developing the relationship between the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), an affiliate of UChicago, and HKU’s Swire Institute of Marine Science (SWIMS). In the first year, these funds went toward strengthening relationships between the two entities including bilateral visits, with the second year’s funds targeted at joint research.
Faculty at both universities are welcome to submit proposals.
Details & Conditions
- Awards will range from $5,000 to $25,000. The maximum award funded by the two universities for each proposal is $25,000. This amount is a 50:50 match between the two institutions. Additional internal matching from departments/deans to indicate alignments with these units as well as from external partners to maximize knowledge dissemination and implementation is strongly encouraged.
- While the focus of initial funding will be the MBL and SWIMS, this will not be to the exclusion of other parts of either institution that might naturally be included in such activities between MBL and SWIMS.
- The scope of the proposal may include, but is not limited to,
a. Organizing conferences and workshops to promote sharing of ideas; particularly welcome are planning and brainstorming workshops to facilitate the development of proposals for collaborative international projects.
- The proposal should be no more than 3 pages and cover the following:
a. Names, affiliations, and full contact information of main organizers and participants
b. Description of the proposed activity, including aims, significance, and rationale
c. Clearly-defined outcome measures with follow-on activities
d. Period and timeline of the proposed activities
e. Detailed budget
- Each proposal will be reviewed by a group comprising academic staff and administrative officers from both universities, on the basis of merit, rationale, creativity, consistency with the intended objectives of the scheme, budget, sustainabiolity, and impact.
- Proposals are reviewed twice during the year, with submission deadlines on January 15th* and July 15th. Proposals should be sent via email to the office of the Vice President and Pro-Vice Chancellor (Global) at HKU (VPglobal@hku.hk) and to the Global Engagement Office at UChicago (firstname.lastname@example.org).
*For 2017-18, the winter deadline has been extended to January 31st, 2018